Food Rescue in Prince William County
Northern Virginia Food Rescue (NOVA-FR) is an innovative network of donor, volunteer, and distribution partners improving food resiliency and accessibility. NOVA-FR was launched in August 2019. Prior to its establishment as its own non-profit organization, NOVA-FR was a program under the local non-profit, Action In Community Through Service (ACTS). ACTS helped us to launch using their offices, resources, and connections throughout the county.
Our goal for the first year was to rescue 200,000lbs of food but through the work of some amazing partner organizations and Food Rescue Heroes, we surpassed that goal in 5 months. Then March 2020 hit and everything changed. At first we didn’t know how our work would continue, but it quickly became clear that we couldn’t stop because the community needed our work more than ever. We pivoted to make all our rescues no-contact, added home deliveries, got a warehouse space in partnership with Prince William County, and brought on many, many new partners. A lot has happened since then but now we are a network of 70+ food pantries, 50+ donors, and hundreds of Food Rescue Heroes serving Prince William County.
NOVA-FR aims to address the disconnect between food insecurity and food waste by rescuing food before it is wasted and directly distributing it to Prince William County organizations that serve communities in need. Our goal is to keep healthy food out of the trash and get it into the hands of those who need it.
There are multiple opportunities to volunteer with our Food Rescue program – everything from the warehouse to event planning, to marketing to social media, to dispatch, to data entry, and more! We’d love to have you join our team through our volunteer opportunities!
In partnership with Prince William County we have a warehouse located at the intersection of I-66 and 234 in Manassas. This warehouse allows us to receive bulk donations of food and break them down to send to our partners throughout Greater Prince William. The warehouse is open for donations from 8am-2pm Monday-Friday and other times upon request.
Do you have food to donate or want to volunteer at our warehouse? Please contact us.
WEEKEND BACKPACK PROGRAM
Our backpack program was created in response to the increase of students in Prince William County who were experiencing food insecurity during the pandemic. For some of these children, the meals that they receive at school may be the only food that they will be able to eat that day with little to eat at home over the weekend. Our program provides nutritious food that children can easily prepare. Please contact us to get your school involved or to find out how to best support this program.
FOOD SHARE TABLE
Schools waste $1.2 billion in edible foods given to students each year. The solution is creating a process for collecting (allowable) food items before they are discarded into the trash – aka Food Share Tables.
We have developed a Food Share Table program for our schools that is USDA and VHD compliant and follows guidelines created by Prince William County Schools Food Services. Learn more here.
- A La Carte
- Bel Air Elementary School
- BJ’s Wholesale
- Cox Farms
- Dar Al Noor
- Enterprise Elementary School
- Family Mart
- Food Lion
- Harris Teeter
- House of Mercy
- Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC)
- Manassas Park High School
- MOM’s Organic Market
- Prince William Forest National Park
- Red Lobster
- Sentara Community Day
- St Thomas UMC
- Todos Supermarket
- Trillium Center
- Trinity Episcopal Church
- Upper Room Christian Cathedral
- Washington Lamb
- Wegmans #55
- All Saint’s Church of Woodbridge
- Arcadia Foundation
- Bethany Food Pantry
- Boys & Girls Clubs
- Bull Run Unitarian Universalists
- Calvary Baptist
- Carried to Full Term
- Chapel Springs Church
- Christian Mission Alliance
- Citadel Worship Assembly
- Concordia Lutheran Church
- Coverstone Apartments
- Crossroads – Connection
- Dale City Church of Christ
- Dar Alnoor
- Dean Divers Baptist Church
- Dominion Christ Chapel
- Dumfries United Methodist
- East End Mobile Home Park
- Ebenezer Presbyterian Church
- First Baptist Church Manassas
- Georgetown South Community Center
- Grace Life Community Church
- Greater Prince William Health Center
- Haymarket Regional Food Pantry
- Harvest Life Church
- Helping Neighbors In Need
- Hilda Barg Homeless Prevention Center
- Hoadly Playroom
- Holy Family Food Pantry
- Hope House
- House of Mercy
- Humanity First USA
- ICNA Relief USA
- Iglesia Biblica Bautista Woodbridge
- Iglesia de Dios Pentecostal Alfa y Omega
- Iglesia Del Nazareno
- Iglesia Pentecostal Trono de Jehovah
- Iglesia Puerta Del Cielo
- Iglesia Rio de Gracia
- Lamb of God International Church
- Light of Life Church
- Love for the Nations
- Manassas Baptist Church
- Manassas Mobile Home Park
- Manassas Park Community Center
- Mother of Mercy Clinics
- Neabsco Baptist Church
- New Antioch Christian Fellowship
- NVFS-Hunger Resource Center
- Old School Kitchen
- Park Valley Church
- Prince William County Schools
- Prince William County Community Foundation
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church
- Salvation Army (Community Center)
- St. Francis House
- St. Lucy’s Project
- St. Mark United Methodist Church
- St. Paul United Methodist Church
- St. Thomas UMC Pantry
- St. Vincent de Paul
- Streetlight Community Outreach Ministries
- Star of Bethlehem Christian Academy
- Tenants and Workers United
- The Church VA
- The House Student Leadership Center
- The Life Church
- The Links Inc.
- Unity Church
- Woodbridge Workers Committee
- Yeshua Church of God In Christ
FOOD DONOR PARTNER
Are you an organization or business with excess food to donate? Donors range from large food distributors to small mom-and-pop stores, restaurant chains, urban farms and even other non-profits.
If you are an organization with food to donate, please contact us.
FOOD RESCUE HEROES
Are you an individual or family looking for a worthwhile volunteer opportunity? Become a Food Rescue Hero by downloading our app, Northern Virginia Food Rescue, and completing rescues. Food Rescue Heroes are any members of our community who can download the app, create a profile, and help move food from Donors to Distributors.
FOOD DISTRIBUTION PARTNER
Are you a food distribution organization who does or could feed the hungry? Distributors are organizations ranging from senior centers to food banks, community groups, HOAs or faith-based organizations.
If you would like to learn more about receiving food for your distribution site, please contact us.